Many famous books were published here, including The Scarlet Letter, Walden, and the Atlantic Monthly magazine.
The Bookstore was built in 1712 as an apothecary shop, office and home of Thomas Crease. The outspoken Anne Hutchinson, who was exiled from the Bay State, owned the store before it was given to Timothy Harrington who turned it into a bookstore.
The Old Corner Bookstore is one of Boston's oldest surviving structures. Today, the building is occupied by a jewelry store.